Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Good Earth - Chapter 1

In the novel "The Good Earth", Pearl S. Buck shows how society in early 20th century China differs from our society today. If a woman was not wealthy, she was treated as though she was a slave. Women were given away to be married as if they were unimportant, or an object, rather than a person. "[Wang Lung's] father had stirred himself... and gone to the House of Hwang and asked if there were a slave to spare. "Not a slave too young, and above all, not a pretty one," he had said." (p. 8) The lower you were in society the less privileges you had, like a pretty wife, or a nice home. Wang Lung, a poor farmer, was expected to have a not-so-pretty wife, while it was believed that wealthy men were entitled to a beautiful one. In today's society women and men are treated equally, and many women are more if not just as powerful as men. "The Good Earth" proves how much our society has evolved over time.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alex, I thought this was written very well. I learned of new ideas I hadn't really thought of before. The way you put your voice into your writing and use lots of text evidence is very good. I think you could have written more on the topic of women's rights but that is all I have to say. Awesome Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,
    I really liked that part you said about women being objects rather than people. It really made a big impact on the piece. Next time maybe try making 2 paragraphs, that's all I think you could do to fix it. I loved it!
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the basic text of your response. Do let yourself write in paragraphs in order to give your thoughts more structure, and make a more convincing argument.

    ReplyDelete