Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Discussion on Wemmick

When Pip visits Wemmick's home, he observes that the man has two very different personalities. At work, his serious side is shown, while at home he seems to be much more laid back and care-free. Wemmick believes that at work he should be serious, and there is no time for relaxing. "The office is one thing, and the private life is another. When I go into the office, I leave the castle behind me, and when I come into the castle, I leave the office behind me." (p.207) His home, or his castle as he calls it, is his escapism from the work world, from the world outside. "Wemmick got dryer and harder as we went along, and his mouth tightened into a post office again." (p.209) It seems as though Wemmick is afraid to show his caring, fun-loving side to Jaggers, so he puts on a mask only at work that makes him out to be a cruel, horrible man.

5 comments:

  1. Your reading of the text is dead on. You hit at the heart of what is Wemmick's motive. Where is your response? What do you think of this quandry (problem to be solved)? Is his behavior fine? Healthy? See, where you stand is missing, and that's sad because you usually have really interesting things to say, and a fine mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you used quotes from the book. The quotes fit in with what you were trying to say, but next time I would try to explain what you are saying a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quotes fitted very well into what you wrote. i really enjoyed the piece, but maybe try adding a little more length. Still thougb i liked it alot. Nice job Alex :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading that response. I really like the way you used text evidence to prove your point. I felt like it was a little short, though. Maybe next time you could countinue your thought, and create a longer piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This responce is really good! I like the quotes that you put into the responce! The quotes helped make more effect to the responce. You used also a lot of text evidence! This responce is spledid! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete